The main goal of the DEPURATOX project is to create and develop an innovative and innocuous product (non-toxic to living organisms), capable of inactivating marine biotoxins in live bivalves (or reducing their levels to values below the legal limits), during the purification process. In addition, the following objectives are established:
- Improve the purification process through the inclusion of new product(s).
- Demonstrate the feasibility of introducing the new methodology/product into the sector.
- Mitigate the socio-economic impact resulting from the presence of marine biotoxins in bivalve molluscs, nationally and internationally.
- Promote the transfer of knowledge between the scientific community and the socio-business environment, namely shellfish gatherers, catchers, nurserymen, consumers and other stakeholders linked to the sector.
- Disseminate the scientific results of the project by participating in congresses and/or seminars, organizing workshops and publishing scientific articles.